Vision To Move Hawthorne Forward What Does This Mean?
As an Independent and Green, I Propose An Extensive & Bold Plan.
Hawthorne Will Benefit For Future Generations!
- Planning ahead and doing a feasibility report to reclaim our own trash pickup and removal. We have a good amount of time left in our current contract but many in Hawthorne are still seeing mediocre pickup and care with our receptacles. We could save money in the long run by purchasing our own garbage trucks, offering a proper living wage to locals through our DPW which would ensure proper care along with knowledge of our streets. Hawthorne could consider electric trucks which offer grant money from the state to help offset the expense. I say let's invest in people and in our town by bringing this in house!
- Supporting a sustainable Hawthorne doing its part in managing climate change and reducing pollution. By encouraging more use of renewable sources of energy in our municipal buildings, our local businesses and residences. Utilize current state and federal grants to implement and invest in our towns future.
- Working to ensure safety and reduce speeding on major arteries of town. Identifying intersections that need better crosswalks and signage. Walking through and towards key areas of town, Goffle Brook Park or 8 Acres falls on us to manage better. I will work with the administration, county and police. We may need to reduce the speed limits, install better signage around town and utilize our police to patrol more of these highly frequented roads.
- Focusing on more quality life and social activities. Make "Dining On Diamond Bridge" an annual summer event by working with the local businesses and county to offer a better outdoor experience. Include lighting, live music, painting classes and more which will help create a restaurant row vibe like in other towns.
- Supporting as before the No Fossil Fuels pledge and even go further by starting we will take NO money from the Fossil Fuels industry, NO Corporate PAC donations and NO Developer ties. Signing onto the Green New Deal which in local towns helps to ensure safe & clean drinking water, ensures government buildings meet higher standards and new local buildings are LEED certified. Residential weatherization grants with training for local contractors will help bolster our local economy. All this ensures I'm beholden to you the voters of Hawthorne only!
Check Out Each Sub-Page For Each Section of the Vision
Craig Cayetano is running for Hawthorne Town Council at-large in 2021. Let's work together and move Hawthorne Forward!
"I'm a lifelong Northern New Jersey resident, grew up in Bergenfield, but have resided in Hawthorne for over seventeen years now. I'm second generation Peruvian on my father's side and of Italian/German descent on my mother's. Both my mother and grandmother were hardworking waitresses so living paycheck to paycheck was our way of life. I had been a busboy for them from time to time. Then, I was hired to be a veterinary technician at sixteen and was self-taught. Even back then I was a very good listener. I had varied interests growing up: baseball, basketball, soccer, wrestling, band, debate but mainly science and the environment were my focus. I helped to form our high school Environmental Club. I was it’s president as well. I studied Biology, Political Science and Philosophy while attending community college before being thrust into the full-time sales workforce. I still am constantly studying one topic or another almost daily and am always learning.
I have always believed in and worked for fairness towards all political parties. Trying to always study all sides of the political spectrum and to develop a common sense or “real world” approach to issues. I have supported many Independent or Green Party candidates up and down the ballot in every election. After stepping away from politics, I re-engage during 2015 for the Sanders primary campaign and supported him until his concession. Since then, I have seen the control, influence and harm the two-party system has affected the electoral process. I respect those that still vote in every election but remain Independent or Unaffiliated. I understand why some have even decided not to vote. While volunteering on a few campaigns over the last few years I truly listen to their reasons and concerns. I honestly love conversing about the day-to-day issues that matter most to people. I strive to build the Green Party because it is focused on community, environment, labor and not beholden to any corporate interests or donors. I first started locally as a member, then Nationally as one of our state's National Delegates and now have entered my second year as a State Co-Chair. I have also started a mutual aid group Mutual Passaic County to help during the pandemic and a co-founder of Voter Choice NJ. I try to lead by example and have been a listener, activist, organizer and will be a strong advocate for the people and all of Hawthorne."
I envision a Hawthorne in which we can unite as a community and welcome all that come to reside here. A thriving neighborhood with a robust small business based local economy. A town that offers a different feel than those around us with more arts and creativity. Even more green spaces, improving our infrastructure and working to preserve the environment for the future we deserve.
I'm dedicated to campaigning using grassroots democracy to connect to those throughout Hawthorne. I will be an advocate who listens to and speaks up for the people in our town while always representing our community with transparency and integrity. Already, pledging to not take any PAC or corporate money and will not be beholden to any special interest groups or developers. I will strive to use ecological wisdom, community based economics and maintain social justice with respect for diversity. My actions and policies will be future focused and promote sustainability.
2021 Hawthorne Town Council Petition Drop Off
Election Day 2020 Has Arrived! Here Is Your Polling Location